Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"How could anyone love a pebble in their shoe?"

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead: Started the 22nd of June, finished the next day at 3 am. (Which is really the 24th of June, but to me a day is over when I go to bed, so let's say it was the 23rd when I finished it.)

When do I start? I guess with the thing that really stuck out for me. (Search for the words "END SPOILER" to read the rest of the post.)

*****

**

SPOILER

**

*****

When Richelle Mead gave us hope that Dimitri could be saved, could become a dhampir again, she ran the risk of it going really wrong. Rose succeeding to save him could have been cheesy, or we could have complained "Ugh, it was too easy. Just like that she got him back" and so on.

But she pulled it off. Rose saved Dimitri and instead of going "Seriously? That's it?" I went "Yes! She deserved it after all the trouble she went through."

Also, I did NOT expect that twist about Rose being a suspect...

And Adrian! Poor Adrian... It looks like Rose will get back with Dimitri.

*****

**

END SPOILER

**

*****

Overall, Spirit Bound is an amazing book. 5/5

Timeline: Gerard Butler. *sigh* I saw on the Channel 4 website that it was passing on TV and when I saw he was in it, I said "Okay, we're watching this." Also: time travel. Overall: not bad.

One thing that really annoyed me: How hard is it to get French actors to play French characters? Seriously. The one playing Lady Claire sounded terrible when she spoke French. Ugh.

Writing fail--again

As the title in bold suggests, I haven't been writing much lately.

21st Monday 16
22nd Tuesday 79
23rd Wednesday 0
24th Thursday 266
25th Friday 0
26th Saturday 32
27th Sunday 3612
8th Monday 128
29th Tuesday 0
30th Wednesday 0
1st Thursday [Nothing yet]

See? I've got to write 1206 words to catch up.

A Dry White Season: As you know if you've been reading this blog, I had to read the book for school, and I actually liked it. Although the movie leaves out the quirkiness of Professor Bruwer and the relationship between Melanie and Benjamin, it's really good. During one scene near the beginning, when the police is chasing some school kids who were doing a peaceful protest, I almost cried. Usually, during a movie or book, I cry if a character is crying.

But during that scene there was no shot or closeup of a kid crying, yet the emotion in it...

On top of that, it's set in South Africa, where my mom grew up. The film is set in 1976, when my mom was 12. Despite growing up in a place where white people lived better lives than black people, she isn't racist.

Like my dad says, if the parents aren't racist and don't tell their kids that they shouldn't be friends with someone because their skin color is different, than the kids won't be racist either.

Snakes on a Plane: My sister had already seen it, but she watched it with me anyway.

I'd heard about this movie, and it was quite different from what I expected. Gorier.

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli: So I heard about this book a couple of months ago, and then a friend of mine was reading it, so I finally asked my mom to order it off Amazon and it arrived weeks ago. Anyway, despite not having finished 4 other books, I decided to read it. It was a very quick read and definitely worth it. I'll be buying the sequel "Love, Stargirl."

Ever After: I saw it last night with my sister and I LOVED it. Andy Tennant's (the director) Cinderella, called Danielle de Barbarac, is funny and very different from the Disney Cinderella, the only other one I've seen. If you like fairy tales, watch this movie NOW. The quote I used for the title of this post comes from "Ever After."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG I love Ever After. It`s one of my favorite escapist movies. I also read Spirit Bound, and I agree with the same things. I still love how the heroine is kick ass though. Good luck with trying to catch up with your daily word goal. I know you`ve been too busy to check out my chapter edits, but that`s okay. >.< I`ve actually been really busy too, and I feel like a liar cause I said that I could get an edit in every three days. Sorry.

--Angela